Wednesday, 13 February 2013

Fiction Burn: It's a Crime

So on Tuesday the 22nd January I was lucky enough to be invited to perform at Fiction Burn, Newcastle's premiere performance poetry and spoken word. The theme for January was crime and I was lucky enough to share a stage with some fantastic acts, including the Moss Troopers (formerly Tall Tales and Short Stories) a storytelling trio, an improv group, several writers and two musicians, including someone who performed traditional English murder ballads. If you weren't there and want to listen to it for free (and you should) you can find a recording here, courtesy of host, Fiction Burn creator and she of the lovely steampunk jewellry, Emma Whitehall.

The Fiction Burn nights I've been to have both feautured the kind of work I wish I wrote. It has a folksy, traditional aesthetic as evidenced by the storytelling trio and murder ballads and generally tends to head in the direction of the dark, gothic and slightly strange. It is also the only spoken word night I've ever been to where you could find yourself being one of two people who have written something inspired by both greek mythology and detective noir. (Fortunately mine was very different in tone, so I think I got away with it.)

Next month's Fiction Burn theme is 'Love' and it will be taking place on Tuesday 26th of February in Bar Loco, Newcastle. If you get chance I highly recommend you check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment